Wednesday, January 20, 2016

3 Reasons Why You Should Raid Your Mama's Closet!

We often look to celebrities and those in the public eye for fashion inspiration and style leadership...simply because this is the world we live in and our love (obsession?) for "celebrity" is very powerful. And while I can admit that I'm the first one to flip through Hollywood gossip magazines at the grocery store to see "what the stars are wearing," I enjoy exploring fashion trends based on my own style compass.

I grew up with a very emotional and rebellious approach to dressing -- an approach that always led me to my mama's box of scarves. I knew that no matter what was going on around me at school or with friends, that I could always count on the peace that resonated within me when I touched my mother's cherished accessories and clothing.

So because my experience with raiding my mama's closet (with her permission, of course) has always been so gratifying, I encourage you to turn away from celeb stuff for a sec and truly look toward the woman who gave birth to you, raised you, or both.

Here are 3 reasons why you should raid your mama's closet:

1) Gain a deeper connection: Find out more about the styles she likes, the colors she prefers, and the prints that make her happy. Does she have blouses that you've never seen her wear? Interested in knowing why she holds onto certain items for so long? (My mother has multiple pieces from 40 years ago, during her college days.) Simply getting a peak into your mama's closet is like entering her world and getting to know her on a new level. Fashion is very personal, and I predict that going through your mama's closet will bring up several memories and emotions for both of you. Who knows...you may see the blouse that first caught your father's eye!

2) Browse authentic vintage pieces: If you like your mama's style, then wouldn't it be rad to sift through her closet and potentially uncover a one-of-a-kind, vintage item? On the other hand, should you sorta feel iffy about your mother's look...you may be pleasantly surprised and uncover amazing pieces she's kept hidden for years! Depending on how often she wears a certain item and its sentimental value (and how much she trusts you keep it in great condition!), your mother may let you borrow it or even keep it. Although I'm not a mom yet, I can only imagine how it would feel to hand down a favorite of mine to my daughter! Such a beautiful thought...

3) Get organizational tips: Take notice of where your mom places her shoes, work clothes, casual blouses, lounge wear, handbags, etc. Is her closet organized by color? Are items easily accessible? Does her sense of organization give you a new perspective on how to take care of your own wardrobe? My mom keeps her box of scarves on the shelf above her closet, which I always considered a sacred hiding spot. In high school, my mom and I would go through the box together and decide which one would perfectly add to my free-spirited #ootd. In college, I was allowed to go through the box myself. Now, at 35 years old, I have my own box of scarves above my own closet.

Ever raid your mama's closet? Feel free to comment below. I'd love to learn about your experience! 

If you liked this article, you may also enjoy:

"Recreating Your Style in 2016? Let's Revisit Some of My Top Tips!"

"Presented by Her Mama, Lady Gaga Receives "Woman of the Year" at Billboard's Women in Music 2015"

"Lemon Frog Shop: LA's Hip, Unique Treasure!"    

No comments: