Saturday, December 25, 2010

Ode to Accessories

I never leave home without my collapsable, chain-like, gold and silver Tiffany ring. I have had it for eight years; my family gave it to me on my 22nd birthday. It's classic and chic, with a bit of funk mixed in it. Fits my style perfectly, so it accents all of my outfits nicely. I'm sure you can relate -- I'm sure you have at least one piece of jewelry that is always a part of you, which you won't dare go without.

These days, however, with so many fun accessories available as ready-to-wear pieces, it's time to get going and explore various ways to accent your wardrobe. It's important to note that the term "accessories" is not just another way to describe jewelry. Sure, earrings, necklaces, and rings are most definitely accessories. But overall, accessories are those items that accent an outfit! This means brooches, sunglasses, scarves, hats, belts, and hair wear. While I am all for preaching that you should stick close to what is comfortable, I am also a personal shopper who believes that stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new is oh-so-healthy.

So whether you are receiving new accessories today, as Christmas gifts, or are receiving a gift card to say, Forever 21, start thinking about how you can bring a fresh taste to your wardrobe. One of my favorite new pieces is an oversized black and silver flower ring that takes up nearly half of my left hand. My 4-year old niece picked it out for me as a Chanukah gift. I love it! It makes a sort of in-your-face-exaggerated statement about femininity and style. I also received some new printed scarves last month, for my 30th birthday, which I have been wearing with pride...in all different twisty, drapey ways. My Tiffany bracelet and Tiffany star of David necklace, which I received from my family as birthday gifts, also make me smile. These two pieces are wonderful additions to my jewelry collection, that which I treat kindly, keeping them tucked away until a certain special day has arrived.

But back to venturing out and immersing yourself into the world of accessories, do not overlook how certain items can embrace your look. Different types of pieces can allow you to transform a simple outfit into a fabulous one, and can change up the same outfit to appear as though it's completely different, bringing versatility to your wardrobe.

Sooooo...Where is your favorite place to shop for accessories? Share with us! We wanna know.


Photo Credit: http://www.eonline.com/

2 comments:

KDC Events said...

I slack in the accessory department! When I do accesorize, it takes a lot of effort. I need more practice!

Samm said...

Happy new year and a stylish 2011!

With love, Samm
@ www.afterstylecomesfashion.blogspot.com