Sunday, November 29, 2009

Inspiration Comes From Within


Helping men and women find affordable clothing is a joy for me. As an Inland Empire and Los Angeles personal shopper it is something that I always have energy for, whether I'm in a funk or feel a lack of energy to do so. I thrive in the excitement!

Writing, on the other hand, is more complicated than this. My journalism professor told me years ago that a real writer knows how to write even without inspiration; he said the old men who sit in coffee shops waiting for inspiration to come to them are not true writers. A true writer, he explained, was someone who knows how to break through mental boundaries and put their thoughts into words with all their might. I have grown to believe him. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it's always easy. In fact, I am writing this right now, because I am struggling with the right words for other projects.

But, I suppose I am doing what he has taught me. I'm still writing this post. Even though it isn't the projects (designer interviews and articles on LA boutiques) that I woke up to do, I am pushing through my writer's block.

Drinking hot coffee, putting on some soft music, and opening the blinds so the sunshine can peek in always help me to get inspired. Sometimes, I call my mom or dad just to get some encouraging words, watch Bravo or E! for ideas about fashion and entertainment, listen to old voicemails where my niece is saying goodnight, and sometimes I just play Pac Man to get my motor skills going...

The most important thing is to know how to persist even when it feels impossible! Never easy, but do-able. Making a to-do list (as written about on Where Business and Media Meet) is also a great ways to make sure that you accomplish your goals. Staci, from Handbag Report, once contacted me giving me praise for being a multitasker and being able to devote my time to various projects. I appreciated that it didn't go unnoticed, but I made it clear that it isn't easy. (Her blog is awesome, and I, of course, returned the compliments.)

What do you think of my professor's philosophy? And, how do you find inspiration with your own craft?


Photo Credit: http://www.pointclickhome.com

2 comments:

Lindsay Q said...

Hi Elana,
Thanks so much for posting this. I constantly have writers block. But I think it's because I'm forcing myself to write about a certain subject. If I could just let myself go -- no problem. So, for inspiration, I just have to let it happen. Since I don't care to have the same cookie cutter blog as every other beauty blogger, it takes a LOT of thought.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

psh...Brody? Because that sounds like him ; ) I agree to a point, a writer can write about anything, but that's not the goal. The goal is to write about "something" and to have substance. Sometimes you get stuck, and I think it's OK to stop and think about it. Ultimately, everyone is different and has their own process =D

I do agree that you should keep writing though, it helps the creative juices.

Great post!