Introducing a fabulous article from Heidi Walker of Adventures of a Juggling Artist. She was the first person to respond to me about blogging on Good Girl Gone Shopping (I sent out a message to members of my Facebook group inviting guest posts.) So with delight, I present her article about creatively transforming fashion pieces with dye. Enjoy!
White it is just not my color. I always get it stained somehow. Frankly, I find it boring. In the past year, however, I have come across some really cute clothes that were in white ONLY.
At first my heart was broken, but one day when milling around the sewing store I walked past dye. I took a CHANCE! It turned out beautiful! Here are the results of two items:
The gold stitching is synthetic, so it stay when I dyed the dress.
As you can see the Greek style of the dress was only emphasized further.
Then a few months later it was vacation time, so I ordered a pair of shorts and thought I would dye them. At this point I thought I was the expert. WRONG!!! I went cheap and easy on the dye. RIT from the grocer. Bad idea, the color came out uneven and the directions were not clear.
So I waited a few months and then decided to try it again. I went back to the sewing store and bought the prettiest blue dye. I read the directions and they were DIFFERENT than the RIT. They clearly instructed you to not only use CLEAN (of course, I did that) but DAMP clothing when dying it.
The dampness distributes the color evenly to prevent streaking. Here are the results from my second SUCCESS story:
Honestly this pick does not do the color justice. It is even brighter.
- It takes only three dollars to change the color of a BORING white piece of clothing you have had in your closet forever.
- Getting a good quality dye is important.
- Using GLOVES is necessary and will keep your hands pretty.
- This can only be done with certain fabrics and those are listed on the dye package.
- You will be able to dye two pieces of clothing for each packet of dye you have.
- This is an AWESOME way to update your wardrobe. Each time I wear these pieces of clothing I get compliments and gaping stares at the clothing, because they are beautiful.
You can TRULY be a "Good Girl Gone Shopping" with this project. Elana, thank you for allowing me to share my love for frugal fashion.
Happy weekend everyone! It is SHOPPING time!
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Heidi