Monday, July 21, 2008

Celebrity Fashion Designers -- A Greedy Business Opportunity?

(Sean John, Fall 2008 New York Fashion Week)

Gwen Stefani? Lauren Conrad? Eve? Daisy Fuentes? P. Diddy? Jaime Pressly? Milla Jovavich?

The list is endless, and on many levels, I'm tired of the celebrity designer trend. I know that Gwen has loved to sew since she was a kid, and Lauren went to FIDM (as shown on "The Hills")...but what about the others? A business opportunity vs. the innate passion for fashion design?

You tell me...

Photo Credit: http://www.nymag.com/

3 comments:

Ash Magazine said...

I think its just another way to make money. I mean, some celebs may love clothes, but they probably never had a passion similar to the contestants on Project Runway, their entertainners for a reason. They understand that they are popular and their styles are imitated ;their fans are likely to buy anything they endorse, especilly clothes. Great Topic Elana.

Anonymous said...

You know Elana that is a sticky subject because I am not so much a fan of celebrity designers but I am a fan of Fashion Designers who started out with the desire to design clothes or other fashion pieces. Do I think that it is a money making scheme? Yes and No but one thing is for sure, so many people have taken the field by storm. I just hope that we as purchasers of these clothes stay focused on what we love and not who we love.

Good Girl Gone Shopping said...

I agree with you both. In a sense, whether they had the passion in the beginning or after they began learning of their business opportunities, what is being sold can still be really cool and in high demand by the consumer...