Thursday, May 29, 2008

Shop Away Your Sadness


In a recent poll I posted right here, on Diary of a Personal Shopper, I asked a question about the emotional influence behind your shopping trip. And the conclusion was this: an equal number of you like to shop away your sadness as well as shop due to an elated, happy emotion.


For me, well...I usually purchase my best pieces when there is a little pain mixed in there. I think it's due to the creativity that stems from that emotion, and some hot, new shoes or fantastic blouse can truly turn a frown upside down. I'm not saying to go and rack up that dolla on your credit card. I'm saying a treat for yourself -- a treat to make you feel better -- isn't such a bad thing.


Whether it is a massage, exercise, time spent with your family, or, yes, a fantastic sale at Macy's; how you adopt a sense of wellness and rejuvenate yourself is really up to you. All I suggest is -- have a limit to what you spend if shopping is your stress or pain reliever!

6 comments:

Anu said...

i completely agree :). my best purchases and 'aha-this would look fabulous and last for generations' moments have been when i've been a bit down.

Good Girl Gone Shopping said...

Good Anu, I'm not alone! ;) It's such an "aha" moment - you're totally right.

raquel roysdon said...

Ok so whether pain or shine - When I have a little extra money. I love to lunch, shop and a movie. Hey let's get together - movie Sex in the City what do you say?

The Diva's Hammer said...

I never go shopping when I am sad, being around people is not for me at those times...But baby, when I am happy ...let the good times roll! LOL

Good Girl Gone Shopping said...

I think that's so interesting! A strong emotion, whether sadness or hapiness, can help produce some smart shopping trips (well, hopefully smart ones! Easy to go overboard for me sometimes...)

Leeann said...

Elana, totally thought of you. How awesome does this sound?! Gotta visit this link =)

http://eye4style.blogspot.com/2008/05/must-shop-luxe-life-event-in-los.html